What information does OUP collect?
We collect and process personal data about you when you purchase goods and services from us and interact with us and our websites. This information includes:
- Your name, username, and password
- Your residential or business address, email address, and phone number
- Your payment and delivery details, including billing and delivery addresses and credit card details, where you make purchases from us
- Your marketing preferences, including any consents you have given us
- Information related to the browser or device you use to access our websites
- Records of your use of OUP services.
How does OUP use your information?
We use your information as follows:
To fulfil a contract with you or take steps at your request before this:
- Fulfilling orders
- Providing information and technical support if you ask for this
- Contacting you with information about changes to services
- Handling credit card information provided through our websites using PCI-compliant payment services
- Managing competitions
- Storing and analysing your information in order to review and progress your job application.
As required by OUP to conduct our business and pursue our legitimate interests, in particular:
- Giving you access to products or services ordered by your institution
- Providing you with different content within a product or service, depending on how you use that product or service
- Letting you know about OUP products and services by post, email, and phone in accordance with your marketing preferences and law relating to direct marketing
- Providing targeted advertising for other OUP products and services that we think may be of interest to you, based on how you use OUP websites, products and services
- Analyzing how you use OUP products and services so we can improve our levels of service and develop future products and services, including through the use of surveys
- Ensuring the security of OUP’s websites and information technology systems and protecting OUP’s rights.
Where you give us consent:
- If we need your consent in order to send marketing for OUP products and services to you
For purposes which are required by law:
- Sharing your personal information in order to comply with legal obligations to which OUP is subject.
How will OUP share your information?
We share your personal details:
- Within OUP and with group companies which are involved in carrying out the processing described above
- With third party service providers who process your information on OUP’s behalf for the purposes above – such as payment processors, or fulfilment houses
- With third parties which are identified as co-promoters of competitions that you enter
- With learned societies on whose behalf OUP publishes journals to which you or your institution subscribe
- With institutions through which you have access to OUP services.
We will also share your personal information:
- If we think this is necessary to in order to protect the rights, property, or safety of OUP, our employees, our commercial partners, or our customers. This includes sharing information for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction
- With government authorities and/or law enforcement officials if required by law.